Today I installed Google Chrome to try it out and to see whether it would replace Opera USB version. While I was testing it for different web sites, I noticed that Google Update program kept trying to connect to the internet. Hmm … I remember I already uninstalled it after I installed Google Earth. So, where was this from?
First, I googled “How to uninstall Google Updater” and found its official page. Three methods:
- Uninstall from Start Menu
- Uninstall from the Control Panel
- Uninstall from the command line
The first two methods didn’t apply in my case (already did that after Google Earth installation). Tried the third one, but the excution program was not in the directory metioned there. The program was in my Document Settings, which was called GoogleUpdate.exe, not GoogleUpdater.exe from Google Gear. Geez.
Tried the command-line unstallation, which didn’t work. Then I googled again with the correct phrase “GoogleUpdate.exe”, which led me to find this post, “How to uninstall GoogleUpdate“. Apparently, Google Chrome installed a small program called GoogleUpdate.exe (why use a slightly different name?), added it into Services and even a task to run this update program from time to time, without telling the owner! 👿
Well, someone in Google Group said that they did metion the update program in the Terms of Service, but most users don’t read these terms. Anyway, I still think that they should let the users to disable it in the Options. I don’t need some small programs running in the background checking for the update. They can check it when I use it, and clearly show me where I can disable it if I want to.
PS: Google Chrome uses more system resources than Opera USB Protable. 🙄
UPDATE: Check out this article from CNET, “Be Sure to read Chrome’s fine print“, and you’ll be surprised to see what you “have agreed” when you tried Chrome. #1 is the situation I described above. More surprised when read #2. 😯 (I remember some Adobe’s software/webapp has similar ToS 😕 )
Great, I stay with Firefox.
To Uninstall GoogleUpdate.exe: (how I did; modified from the above instrution)
- Stop GoogleUpdate.exe in Windows Task Manager
- Run msconfig and disable GoogleUpdate.exe under StartUp (no need to restart)
- Delete GoogleUpdate task in C:\WINDOWS\Tasks
- Delete “Update” folder under your C:\Documents and Settings\Your name\Local Settings\Application Data\Google
- Clean up any term with “GoogleUpdate” in the registry file via regedit (Warning!). If you’re not sure about doing this, then just use CCleaner to clean up the registry.
How to update Chrome after removing GoogleUpdate.exe: Please see the comment here.